Panel: Redefining the Student Experience
By Mallory Sprinkle | July 15, 2020 higher education, digital, business growth, COVID-19
Students and Higher Ed Leaders Come Together to Tackle the Challenges of Higher Education
To successfully adapt to a learning environment disrupted by COVID-19, university faculty and students must look to one another.
We recently teamed up with our friends and partners at Pantheon to host a meeting of the minds - a panel featuring both higher education leaders and students. The topic? Digital transformation and the future of the university experience.
- Megan Lynch, Class of 2020, Loyola University Maryland
- Benjamin Ballah, Class of 2020, University of Maryland Baltimore County
- Dionne Curbeam, Deputy Chief Information Officer for IT Development & Innovations, Coppin State University
- Greg Walsh, Associate Professor and Director of D.S. in Information and Interaction Design, University of Baltimore
- Moderator: James Rutherford, Manager, Strategic Partnerships at Pantheon
- 6:30: How students’ prior experience with online learning affected and informed their college experience up until this point
- 9:09: Initial hurdles of transition to digital and changes to the university experience that stood out as effective to students
- 12:00: Managing the faculty’s anxiety in a time of sudden change and chaos
- 15:27: New factors affecting how students decide which university to attend
- 22:14: How disruption creates opportunities for innovation in education
- 24:10: The challenge of building relationships virtually, and the importance of seeing past the data to view both students and instructors as holistic human beings
- 31:37: Why faculty should be given the time and autonomy to right-size their instruction model for the group
- 33:00: The importance of empathy, authenticity, and setting expectations for both students and faculty
- 36:20: Avoiding digital fatigue
- 36:48: Creative tools to engage large groups of students
- 38:12: The importance of perspective and staying positive
- 41:14: On building school pride while social distancing or remote learning
- 50:30: Pros and cons of asynchronous classes and tools that foster dynamic, engaging conversations
Jump start your university's digital transformation with a technical roadmap that drives results. Connect with our team today.